How are cars recycled?
• Damaged cars are bought by auto wreckers or recyclers. They are taken to auto recyclers which are large, open spaces for such cars.
• Over here, the car is inspected to check whether it can be repaired and reused or it is a write-off.
• In most cases, the car cannot be reused. Hence, the next step is to recycle it.
• Recycling entails removal of usable parts and their sale. This is followed by disposal of the parts that cannot be reused.
• Most of the parts such as the car stereo, windshield, wipers, mirrors, headlights, taillights, etc. if not damaged are sold in the market.
• Parts such as battery are removed and used to manufacture new batteries.
• Tires are used to make pavement bases for new roads.
• Wheels are removed and sold as metal scrap.
• If the glass is damaged, it is recycled to make porcelain, jewelry, beads, tiles, etc.
• After removal of all the parts and the various oils and fluids. The next step is the disposal of those fluids in a manner so that they do not affect the environment.
• Finally, the metallic portion of the car is left. This is crushed so as to reduce its size and then it is sold to a shredder.
• Most parts of the car are intact and can be reused. Many auto recyclers get the damaged parts restored so that they can be sold.
Every car needs spare parts for maintenance at some stage or the other.
Buying recycled parts is better than buying the original because:
1. These parts are available at nearly half the price of the original.
2. Since they have been removed from original cars, they provide a good fit.
3. These parts are genuine.
4. Many sellers of used parts provide a warranty for their products.
5. Recycling car parts helps in conserving the environment. This is because it reduces the need to manufacture new parts; since most parts are reused, the landfill is reduced; The pollutants are disposed of. By using these parts, you can also contribute towards conservation.
Hence, we see that using recycled car parts is not only beneficial to us but also works for the bigger cause of saving the planet.